The 2018-19 Theme is “Heroes Around Me”
PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity in the classroom and at home. Students of all grades and abilities may participate and explore the arts based on the 2017-2018 theme: Within Reach
Students may choose one or all of the available arts categories:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- 2D Visual Arts
- 3D Visual Arts
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections program—support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in your school community. Celebrate arts learning in your school community with Reflections.
Table of Contents
- How To: Shrink Wrapping Works
- Thank You to the Judges
- Helpful Tips
- Last Year’s Winners
Deadline: October 2nd by 8:00 AM
- If submitting a digital work, send your file to school on a labeled USB Flash drive or CD.
- Send 3D projects in packaging for transportation (i.e. a box, bubble wrap, etc.)
- Include a digital or hard copy of Student Entry Form.
- Deliver to Reflections Coordinator in the PTSA room.
HELP OUT OUR REFLECTIONS COORDINATOR!
Did you know all the artwork that moves to the next level has to be wrapped for judging?
Wrapping your artwork is simple and quick (but wrapping 50 of them takes time)!
Here’s how you can help AND make your work really look great:
For more information go to the National PTA Reflections Page
On Wednesday, September 19th at 6:30 PM we will hold a workshop open to all families – Parents and
Students. This workshop will help students that have not started to come up with an idea and get started. For
those that have already been working on their projects, we will help prepare their works for submission and
judging and ensure that all of the required forms have completed. We can also help to shrink wrap 2D visual
art and photography submissions.
We will hold our Reflections Reception and Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, October 9th at 6:30 PM. This event will recognize all of the students that participated.
We will offer light refreshments and an opportunity to see all of our student entries before our awards ceremony at 7:00 PM.
Students will be photographed for the yearbook at this celebration.
Thank You to our Judges
The Acworth Arts Alliance – https://www.acworthartsalliance.org/
The Art Barn – http://theartbarn.com/
The Art Station at Big Shanty – http://www.artstationcobb.org/
Mrs. Gaut from Durham Middle School
Mrs. Clark from Allatoona High School
- Completeness counts – finished works show more effort and time.
- Detailed explanations of why your work relates to the theme are very important
- GOOD: “My work represents the Heroes Around Me because the nurses that I sculpted help others every day and without them there would be a lot of sick people.”
- BAD: “I painted a hero.”
2D Visual Art
- 2D artworks must be mounted on sturdy material and no larger than 24×30 inches with matting.
- Works on canvas (Acrylic, oil or mixed media) typically look more finished and may place higher than those on regular paper.
- The back of the work should have the student’s name, school, teacher and grade
3D Visual Art
- Make sure your work is travel-ready and sturdy. This helps the coordinator get it where it is going in one piece.
Music Composition, Video & Dance
- Works must be submitted with on a flash drive (CDs are accepted but not encouraged). Please do not email the work to the coordinator.
- Flash drives must be labeled with the student’s name, school, teacher, and grade.
- Literature must be printed or written in a legible format.
- Younger students can dictate a story to an adult.
- Illustrations are OK but not necessary.
- A presentation folder will help to keep the work together, in order, and organized.
- Folders should be tables with the student’s name, school, and teacher grade.
- Longer works show more effort and time. Poems or Lymrics should be well composed and show that thought was put into the format, structure, and content.
Congratulations to All of Frey’s 2017-18 Winners!
2017-18 Reflections – Within Reach
1st – Calista Johnson & Barrett Maloney
2nd – Lauren Hall
1st – Anna Marino
2nd – Brayden Lee
1st – Pavan Katragadda
2nd – Calista Johnson
1st – Ben Martin
1st – Parker Maloney
2nd – Caleb Chandler
1st – Luke Guarnieri
1st – Luke Guarnieri
1st – Ellie Alef & Kayla Riddle
2nd – Mya Cornielle
1st & 2nd – Landon Lee
1st – Ally Wilhelm
2nd – Jalen Walker
1st – Daniel Ogden
2nd – Ally Wilhelm
1st – Colby Chandler
1st – Olivia Vogt
2nd – Brendan Serdula
1st – Shruiti Boppana
1st – Erin Riddle
2nd – Noah Guarneri